Vincentian Fathers arrive in Chicago from LaSalle, Ill. Cornerstone laid November 14 for church building at northeast corner of Webster and Osgood (Kenmore).
On May 2, a new church (the present St. Vincent's Church, 1010 W. Webster Ave.) is dedicated by the Most Rev. Patrick Feehan, first Archbishop of Chicago. Archbishop Feehan urges Vincentian Fathers to open a new college on a site adjoining the recently erected church.
On June 30, St. Vincent's College is legally established in the State of Illinois. On September 5, classes open in the refurbished College Building at Webster and Osgood (now Kenmore Ave.).
The building provides classrooms on the first floor, classrooms and offices on the second floor. A third floor, added during the remodeling process, is named St. Vincent's College Hall.
There are seven original faculty members, including the Rev. Thomas F. Levan, C.M.
The college begins operations without a president.
Tuition for the 10-month term is $40. Estimates of first-year enrollment vary from 69 to 72, recorded at 70 at year's end.
St. Vincent's College also serves as home to the DePaul Academy (high school), operated by the Vincentian Fathers of the Western Province.
Very Rev. Peter V. Byrne, C.M., assumes presidency on January 2.
On June 19, the first commencement is held in College Hall. The first two graduates are Mark Ignatius Sheridan and William David O'Brien, who receive bachelor of art degrees. Sheridan goes on to become superintendent of the City of Chicago Water Department and O'Brien auxiliary bishop of Chicago and later titular archbishop and president of the Catholic Church Extension Society.
The first football and baseball teams are formed for intercollegiate competition.
Mark Sheridan, one of DePaul's first graduates, organizes the Alumni Association in the Spring.
The Administration Building is erected immediately to the west of St. Vincent's Church and includes offices, library, and faculty apartments (i.e., rooms). Construction marks the beginning of first building program. The structure served as main residence for Vincentian Fathers for 48 years and still stands.
The original College Building at Webster and Osgood is raised and construction begins on a six-story structure on the same site.
The building at Webster and Osgood is completed to serve a variety of educational purposes.
The Lyceum Building at 2235 N. Sheffield Ave. and the College Theatre at 2219 N. Sheffield Ave. are constructed. The total cost of the four buildings (1904-1907) is $500,000.
On December 24, St. Vincent's College is chartered as DePaul University. The name is derived from St. Vincent de Paul, who founded Vincentian Fathers (Congregation of the Mission) in France in the 17th century.
Enrollment is less than 200.
On May 1, the Very Rev. John Martin, C.M., is named DePaul's second president. He succeeds Father Byrne, who resigned the post after 10 years in office.
On July 27, the Very Rev. Francis Xavier McCabe, C.M., arrives at DePaul. On August 1, he succeeds Father Martin as the third president of DePaul.
The total number of alumni is 51.
In July, DePaul admits the first women to summer programs and is among the first Catholic institutions in the country to implement this progressive admissions policy.
September tuition for 1911-12 academic year is $60.
The first women graduates, Sister Mary Clemenza Leahy and Sister Mary Teresita, receive bachelor of arts degrees.
The Illinois College of Law affiliates with DePaul, and the College of Commerce and School of Music are created.
The School of Music is housed in the Lyceum Building.
Enrollment is reported at 540.
The first honorary degree of record, an LL.D. is awarded to Howard N. Ogden, founder and president of the Illinois College of Law.
On January 13, College of Commerce begins offering classes for the first time.
Commerce classes are moved to the Powers Building at 37 S. Wabash Ave.
DePaul gains complete ownership of the College of Law with the death of Howard N. Ogden.
Day classes and the library are moved to the north-side campus. Night school is located in the Chicago Business College at Wabash Ave. and Adams St. In July, Commerce and Law classes are moved to the Tower Building at Michigan Ave. and Madison St.
The first DePaul academic program is accredited by North Central Association of Colleges and Universities.
With the United States entry into World War I, Father McCabe encourages the formation of the DePaul unit of Student Army Training Corps. In September, the College Theatre is converted into barracks by the Army, and 280 students are inducted.
On July 13, an honorary LL.D. is conferred upon Eamon De Valera, president of the Irish Republic. This is the first honorary degree awarded to an internationally known figure.
University Chronology: 1920 - 1939