DePaul University offers its facilities for military war training.
In March, tuition-free courses to train men and women for war industry work are announced. Day and evening classes include production supervision, radio technician training, chemistry, and mathematics.
It is announced that DePaul has been chosen to offer V-1 training to men between 17 and 19 who are freshmen and sophomores. Enrollees take regular college programs and special courses for examinations for Navy officers' courses upon graduation.
In April, the appointment of Ray Meyer as head basketball coach is reported by Father O'Connell.
It is announced that the Athletic Board, formed to govern all athletic policies, has completed its first year of service.
In October, the Very Rev. Comerford J. O'Malley, C.M., succeeds Father O'Connell as the seventh president of DePaul University.
Reorganization begins with administrative appointments to coordinate and integrate intellectual and social activities.
The Blue Demons, coached by
Ray Meyer and led by George Mikan, win the National Invitational Tournament. This is the first and only post-season basketball tourney won by a DePaul basketball team.
In March, the Board of Lay Trustees is formed with an advisory role. Membership is 16, with the university president, vice president, comptroller, and president of the Alumni Association serving as ex-officio members.
In September 1, the American College of Physical Education affiliates with DePaul.
Irish Library opens on the north side campus. It is the first to be considered
a "special collection."
Enrollment rises to 11,500.
In September, DePaul's College of Commerce introduces a master of business administration program.
Golden Jubilee celebration begins on September 25 with Solemn Pontifical Mass, and concludes July 19, 1949.
The campus libraries are centralized under one director.
University Chronology: 1950 - 1959