If DePaul doesn't own the film you are looking for, here are a few other options you can explore.
DePaul WorldCat Local
Loan policies will vary by institution, so some of our I-Share consortial partners may allow you to check out the video; others may allow you to watch the video on-site within their library; and at others, you will have no access to films at all. If you find that a specific school owns copy of a film through DePaul Worldcat Local that is available from an I-Share Library, a good rule of thumb is to call ahead and confirm their borrowing and viewing policies. Consult a map of Chicagoland I-Share libraries that provides contact information.
Chicago Public Library (or your local public library)
The Chicago Public Library has an extensive collection of feature and documentary films. You can go online and use the Chicago Public Library catalog to request items be held for you at the location of your choice. The closest branch to the Lincoln Park Campus is only three blocks west of the Fullerton el stop, and the Harold Washington Library Center, located at State & Van Buren, is very convenient to the Loop campus. If you live elsewhere, you can use a map that lets you find a nearby branch.
While you can't use your DePaul ID at the Chicago Public Library (CPL), getting a card is easy.
- If you live in Chicago, all you need to get a library card is proof that you are a resident. If you don’t have an ID with your Chicago address on it (such as a current driver’s license), you can combine a picture ID with a recent letter or bill addressed to your residence.
- Living in the dorms? Student Housing can issue you a document proving your Chicago residency.
- If you’re a commuter, the Chicago Public Library also has agreements with dozens of Illinois libraries that let members of those libraries also get a card in the city. But, you can also check to see if your local public library has what you need.
- Facets Multimedia is a private video rental/sales business located near the Lincoln Park Campus at 1517 W. Fullerton Avenue; it is not affiliated with DePaul University. Their Website indicates hours of operation, film availability and additional iformation.
- Other video rental stores or services may be helpful; more mainstream films, or classic films, are generally widely available at chains like Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, and others. For older, foreign, or more obscure titles, locally owned video rental stores, or a service like Netflix might be helpful.