Founded by the Sisters of the Sacred Heart in 1858, Barat College began as the Barat Academy for Young Women. In 1904, the school moved to its Lake Forest campus, where it was chartered as a four-year women's college in 1918. In the 1950s, the Lower School separated from the College and became Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart. The Order of the Sacred Heart turned over control of the college to a secular Board of Trustees in 1969. Throughout the 1970s, Barat developed its emphasis on the arts, including pioneering programs in dance and theater. In 1982, it began admitting male students. In questionable financial condition, Barat College formed an educational alliance with DePaul University, becoming Barat College of DePaul University in 2001. The financial issues could not be overcome by DePaul, and Barat College of DePaul University ceased operations on June 30, 2005.