In September, construction begins on Faculty Hall. This is the among the first results of the building and expansion plan developed by Father O'Malley and Board of Lay Trustees.
Total alumni exceeds 14,750.
On November 29, Faculty Hall, at 2233 N. Kenmore Ave., is dedicated. It serves as a 35-room residence for Vincentian Fathers. It is the first new construction on campus in 14 years and replaces a 48-year-old facility.
The Office of Admissions is organized. Registration operations for various colleges are now centralized under one office.
In October, Father O'Malley announces a $5.5 million development program, with an initial objective of building an all-purpose auditorium at Belden and Sheffield Avenues.
In Spring, DePaul adopts an armorial seal with a traditional coat of arms and a new university motto: "Viam sapientiae monstrabo tibi"
(I will show you the way of wisdom. Proverbs, IV, 11).
DePaul University establishes the Placement Bureau in September.
The new post of vice president for student services created in October. It is established to supervise the administration of student counseling, placement, records, admissions, health, athletics, student activities and publications, scholarships and grants-in-aid, and student organizations.
On October 14, The Frank J. Lewis Foundation gives the 18-story Kimball Building at 25 E. Jackson Blvd. to DePaul. This is the largest gift to the university to date and includes ownership of the land on which the building stands. Plans call for occupancy by five divisions: Commerce Graduate School, Law, Music, and University College (evening liberal arts).
On October 3, ground is broken for Alumni Hall, 1011 W. Belden Ave.
Enrollment is reported at 7,701.
On December 16, Alumni Hall is dedicated and blessed by his Eminence Samuel Cardinal Stritch, Archbishop of Chicago. The cost for this project is $2 million. The building includes classrooms, offices, an arena, a gymnasium, a swimming pool, locker rooms, handball courts, and the first on-campus cafeteria.
In August, the School of Music moves from 64 E. Lake St. to the Lewis Center.
College of Law moves to Lewis Center from 64 E. Lake Street in January. Remaining three university divisions move to permanent quarters in Lewis Center May 22. For the first time since 1912, all DePaul operations are housed in university-owned facilities. Executive offices move to Lewis Center from Lyceum Building on north side campus.
University Chronology: 1960 - 1969
On May 2, the Lewis Center is formally dedicated by his Eminence Albert Cardinal Meyer, Archbishop of Chicago.