DePaul's first permanent student residence, a six-story Residence Hall at 2312 N. Clifton Ave. on the Lincoln Park Campus, is completed.
DePaul organizes the first University Senate, a 75-member body comprised of students, faculty and staff, with a representative voice in the institution's affairs.
The School of Music observes its 60th anniversary.
Plans are formulated to renovate the Academy Building on the Lincoln Park Campus at the cost of $1.9 million.
DePaul receives a two-year $150,000 matching grant from the National Institute of Mental Health and the Illinois Department of Mental Health to establish a mental health clinic (named the Mental Health Center). This is the only funded facility of its kind, attached to a department of psychology, in the country.
Construction begins on a three-story student union at 2324 N. Seminary Ave. on the Lincoln Park Campus. It is named the University Center.
DePaul offers new courses in computer science, requisite for all College of Commerce majors.
The College of Commerce establishes the Small Business Institute.
DePaul purchases the 15-story Finchley Building at 23 E. Jackson Blvd., adjacent to the 18-story Lewis Center, for $1.2 million. This increases the downtown campus space by 20 percent.
The university establishes the School for New Learning, an academic program that will pioneer adult education.
The College of Law opens the Legal Clinic to serve as a learning laboratory and venue for community service.
The Women's Board and university officials launch the Art for DePaul program to acquire and establish a university collection of fine art.
DePaul begins a year-long observance of its 75th anniversary.
The Program for Greatness surpasses its $32 million goal.
DePaul confers its first doctoral degrees in the biological sciences, philosophy and psychology.
DePaul establishes the new master of science degree program in taxation and master of business administration program in systems management. Both of these programs are offered through the Graduate School of Business.
A $2 million College of Law expansion campaign is announced. It will increase space by 50 percent, double the Law Library collection to 140,000 volumes, and extensively remodel four floors in the Lewis Center and three contiguous floors of the Finchley Building.
The School for New Learning opens the Northwest Learning Center
in Park Ridge. It is the first DePaul program to be offered in a Chicago suburb.
The Department of Special Collections in the Lincoln Park Campus library (head quartered in Schmitt Academic Center) is oficially established.
The Blue Demons make their first post-season National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) appearance in 11 years and their first post-season tourney since the National Invitational Tournament (NIT) in 1966.
DePaul designs and adopts the new DePaul "tree of knowledge" symbol representing the human form and modified cruciform, the latter reflecting the Catholic roots of the university.
DePaul acquires the west portion of the former McCormick Theological Seminary Campus (seven acres and five buildings for the Lincoln Park Campus),
The university names five buildings in honor of former DePaul presidents:
- Academy building, 2219 W. Kenmore Ave., is renamed Peter Vincent Byrme Hall;
- Liberal Arts and Science Building, 2322 N. Kenmore Ave., is renamed Thomas Levan Center;
- Science Hall East, 1036 W. Belden Ave., is renamed Michael J. O´Connell Center;
- Zenos Hall, 900 W. Belden Ave., is renamed Francis X. McCabe Hall;
- Alumni Hall, 910 W. Belden Ave., (also acquired in 1976 McCormick purchase and not the similarly named building at 1011 W. Belden Ave.) is renamed Francis V. Corcoran Hall;
- Residence Hall, 2313 N. Clifton Ave., is renamed Clifton Hall.
The North Central Association of College and Universities renews 10-year accreditation for DePaul through its doctoral programs. The university is also accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business, Association of American Law Schools, National Association of Schools of Music, and the National League of Nursing.
DePaul acquires the east portion of the former McCormick Theological Seminary Campus (4.3 acres and three buildings for the Lincoln Park Campus).
DePaul reaches a milestone when the total degrees awarded at academic year convocations surpasses 50,000.
The School of Music moves to the Stone Building (acquired in 1977 McCormick east campus purchase) on the Lincoln Park Campus.
The university establishes a new master of law taxation program through the Colleges of Commerce and Liberal Arts and Sciences.
DePaul expands off-campus programs by offering extension courses in the suburbs through the Colleges of Commerce and Liberal Arts and Sciences.
DePaul begins the renovation of the Gymnasium Building, 940 W. Belden Ave., (acquired in the 1976 McCormick Theological Seminary west campus purchase) through a $250,000 gift from Ramona (nee Hayes) and John Healy.
DePaul acquires the 47-year old Goodman School of Drama, an integral part of the Art Institute of Chicago for nearly 50 years, and offers undergraduate and graduate programs to students. The academic unit is named Goodman/DePaul School of Drama.
The Stone Building, 804 W. Belden Ave., (also acquired in the 1977 McCormick east campus purchase) is renamed the Fine Arts Building.
McClue Chapel, 800 W. Belden Ave., (also acquired in the 1977 McCormick purchase) is renamed Concert Hall.
University Hall (student union) on Lincoln Park Campus is renamed the Harold L. Stuart Center in recognition of the philathropist´s bequest.
The gymnasium Building is renamed the Hayes/Healy Athletic Building in honor of the philanthropists Ramona (nee Hayes) and John Healy.
The All-University Art Acquisition Board is appointed to develop recommended policies on acquisitions, appraisals of existing pieces and future exhibits. Pieces in the collection now number over 200 with an appraised value in excess of $200,000.
For the first time in DePaul's history, the Blue Demons reach the final four in NCAA tournament competition.
Ray Meyer, DePaul´s head varsity basketball coach, is elected to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. He is the fourth active coach to be so honored.
Demolish the "Barn" on Lincoln Park Campus, student name of the College Theatre constructed in 1907 and used as a theatre and auditorium (until 1918), World War I army barrack, the home of the Blue Demons (until 1956) and then for intramural sports and student social activities.
Begin three-year $3 million campaign to expand and remodel College of Commerce´s Lewis Center and Finchley Building facilities, first extensive renovation since academic unit moved in 1958 to Jackson Boulevard campus from 64 E. Lake Street.
The first phase of a two-year $2.2 million renovation of Byrne Hall on Lincoln Park Campus is started.
The physics department moves from leased space on Fullerton and Racine Avenues to facility.
DePaul requires academic proficiency testing and a counseling program for all freshmen and some transfer students for first time in the school's history.
In the third game of the basketball season, Ray Meyer earns his 600th career victory, one of a handful to reach this career milestone.
University Chronology: 1980 - 1989