DePaul University Libraries
Chicago Neighborhoods
1Chicago & Lincoln Park Ephemera
Description: The Chicago & Lincoln Park Ephemera Collection is an umbrella title for the diverse range of materials produced by local businesses and organizations and in the course of urban events and planning. The collection is organized into 25 series either by subject such as Businesses, Churches, Hospitals, and Transportation or by media type such as Postcards or Artifacts.
Restrictions: In library use only
2Chicago Park District
Description: In 1934, Chicago had 22 park districts, which were combined to create the Chicago Park District as it exists today. This collection is divided into six series: Publications, Administration, Budget Files, Events, Parks, and Press and Public Notices. Records include correspondence, newsletters, programs, maps, and many other materials from the 1950?s to the present day. The Chicago Park District has separate archives for further research purposes.
Restrictions: In library use only
3Clybourn Corridor Research Project
Description: The records of this collection contain 19 research projects written for a DePaul University course - GEO133: Urban Geography. These were the final projects for the two courses offered by professors Alex G. Papadopolous and Euan Hague. The projects include maps, photographs, and supplementary digital research. Files also contain information about architecture, urban development and geography of different streets, buildings, and businesses in the Clybourn Corridor.
Restrictions: In library use only
4DePaul Settlement and Day Nursery; St. Vincent de Paul Center
Description: The DePaul Settlement and Day Nursery was founded in 1915 by the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent DePaul. Now called St. Vincent DePaul Center (after merging with the St. Vincent Infant Asylum), it offers childcare and social services including therapy and food distribution. Collection records are organized into three series: DePaul Settlement and Day Nursery, St. Vincent Infant Asylum, and St. Vincent de Paul Center.
Restrictions: In library use only
5DePaul University and Lincoln Park
Description: DePaul University's expansion and simultaneous urban renewal efforts in Lincoln Park spurred the growth of several committees at DePaul. The groups included Community Relations, and the DePaul Neighborhood Advisory Committee, both formed to balance the needs of the Lincoln Park and University communities. The collection is divided into four series: History and Background, Committee Files, Neighborhood Advisory Committee Sub-Committees, and Urban Renewal.
Restrictions: In library use only
6DePaul University Lincoln Park Study Group
Description: The Lincoln Park Study Group, formed in 1983, was composed of DePaul University faculty members who convened to document "the most significant social and cultural factors that have helped sculpt the landscape" of Lincoln Park. The collection is organized in three series: Background and Subject Files, Essay Drafts, and Interviews.
Restrictions: In library use only
7Fraga, Teresa
Description: The Teresa Fraga papers, donated in 2010, document her service and commitment to community organizations, especially the Pilsen Neighbors Community Council.
Restrictions: In library use only
8Friends of the Parks
Description: This collection includes documents from the Friends of the Parks organization. The documents are arranged in four series: Publications, Administration, Affiliated Parks Committees, and Subject Files. Record types include newsletters and bulletins; histories, minutes, correspondence, reviews, reports, pamphlets; and several individual reports, Newsletters, Financial Statements and Correspondence from Friends of Lincoln Park and the Chicago Park District.
Restrictions: In library use only
9Ladies Auxiliary of Grant Hospital
Description: Records document the Ladies Auxiliary of Grant Hospital, formerly known as the Ladies Auxiliary of the Board of Directors of the German Hospital of Chicago. This partially processed collection includes minutes, financial statements, and annual reports for the organization. The group disbanded in 1994.
Restrictions: In library use only
10Lincoln Central Neighborhood Association
Description: The Lincoln Central Neighborhood Association (LCA) developed out of the Lincoln Central Conservation Association in the late nineteen fifties. The LCA consists of the area surrounded by North Avenue, Halsted Street, Lincoln Avenue, and Ogden Avenue. The LCA's main objectives included raising living standards, retaining responsible residents, and attracting young families.
Restrictions: In library use only
11Lincoln Park Advisory Council
Description: This collection contains records from the Lincoln Park Advisory Council, founded in 1985. These materials include LPAC's correspondence, meeting minutes, by-laws, financial reports, and papers from various organization committees.
Restrictions: In library use only
12Lincoln Park Architectural Photographs (formerly the Wanda Harold Collection)
Description: The Lincoln Park Architectural Photographs of 200 historical buildings in Chicago's Lincoln Park Community include landmark domestic residences, commercial sites, and churches constructed in a variety of historical styles.
Restrictions: None
13Lincoln Park Chamber of Commerce
Description: The Lincoln Park Chamber of Commerce goal is to foster a successful business atmosphere in the Lincoln Park Neighborhood that will lead to development in Lincoln Park. These files are organized by nine series; Publications, Administration, Committee Files, Events, Newspaper Articles and Press Releases, Parking and Traffic, Urban Renewal, Photographs and Over-sized Memorabilia.
Restrictions: In library use only
14Lincoln Park Community Conservation Council
Description: Under the Urban Community Conservation Act of 1953 and the Federal Housing Act of 1954, Chicago established a Community Conservation Board and local Conservation Community Councils. Lincoln Park was designated a conservation area in 1956, making it eligible for federal urban renewal funds. The Lincoln Park Conservation Community Council was formed in 1962, and served as the official link between the neighborhood and municipal renewal agencies.
Restrictions: In library use only
15Lincoln Park Community Research Initiative (LPCRI)
Description: LPCRI is a joint effort of Lincoln Park community organizations and DePaul University to collect records and artifacts that document the history of Lincoln Park. The collection is organized into five series: Organizational Files, News Releases and Articles, Programs, Events, and Audiovisual Records.
Restrictions: In library use only
16Lincoln Park Conservation Association Records
Description: The Lincoln Park Conservation Association (LPCA) was formed in 1954 and served as an umbrella organization, connecting neighborhood associations to each other as well as to the LPCCC (Lincoln Park Community Conservation Council) and the DUR (Department of Urban Renewal). LPCA closed their offices in 1988 and donated their Records to DePaul. Subsequent donations received in the 1990s and 2000s have been added to the collection.
Restrictions: In library use only
17Lincoln Park Mid-North Association
Description: Lincoln Park's Mid-North Association includes residents and businesses in the 12-block Landmark District bordered by Lincoln Park West, Fullerton Parkway, and Lincoln and Ogden Avenues. Organized in 1950 to protect the residential character of the community and to provide safety in the neighborhood, excellent schools, city services, and well-kept parks, the organization is a sub-group of the Lincoln Park Conservation Association.
Restrictions: In library use only
18Lincoln Parks Steering Committee
Description: This collection includes documents from committee task forces, which are arranged in four series: Administrative Files; Lincoln Park Management and Restoration Planning; Task Forces; and Lincoln Park Management and Restoration Plan. Specific records include by-laws, minutes, and agendas of the Steering Committee, followed by organizational materials. The collection also includes media coverage and reports, such as those related to other inner-city park projects.
Restrictions: In library use only
19McCormick Theological Seminary
Description: DePaul University purchased portions of McCormick Theological Seminary in the 1970s when that organization relocated outside of the Lincoln Park neighborhood. McCormick has also been known as the Indiana Theological Seminary and the Presbyterian Theological Seminary. The records here are mainly the product of the research and work of a DePaul graduate student. For information on the Seminary's own archives, contact the Jesuit-Kruaus-McCormick Library (www.jkmlibrary.org).
Restrictions: In library use only
20Mujeres Latinas en Accion (MLEA)
Description: MLEA founded in 1973 and located in Chicago's Pilsen neighborhood, provides social services to Latina women and their families. The organizational records were deposited in May 2006.
Restrictions: In library use only
21Old Town Triangle Association
Description: The Old Town Triangle Association was established in 1948 as a community-based, not-for-profit organization devoted to Chicago residents who live in the area bounded by North Avenue, Clark Street, and Ogden Avenue. The "Triangle" became a Chicago landmark area in 1977 and a nationally registered landmark area in 1984.
Restrictions: In library use only
22Park West Neighborhood Association
Description: The Park West Neighborhood Association is an all-volunteer organization devoted to the service and well-being of the community's residents. The area served by the Association is bounded by Lake Michigan, Halsted Street, Diversey Parkway, and Fullerton Parkway.
Restrictions: In library use only
23Personal Papers of Louis Szathmáry
Description: Louis Szathmáry was the chef-owner of The Bakery Restaurant in Lincoln Park for 26 years. In addition to his successful career in the food industry, Szathmáry was an avid book collector of culinary and Hungarian titles. This collection contains numerous photographs and publications demonstrating the Lincoln Park resident?s fame as a restaurateur and a bibliophile. The materials are arranged by subject into four series: General, Publications, Books and Videotapes.
Restrictions: In library use only
24RANCH Triangle Association
Description: The R.A.N.C.H. Triangle Association if one of seven neighborhood groups that make up the districts of Lincoln Park(LP), and is a subgroup of the LP Conservation Association. Bounded by Racine, Armitage, North Ave., Clybourn and Halsted, R.A.N.C.H. exists to inform the community about issues ranging from crime to urban renewal, and organizes neighborhood activities.
Restrictions: In library use only
25Seminary Townhouse Association (STA)
Description: The STA, formed in 1974, is comprised of the 54 townhouses and two freestanding houses in the 800 and 900 block of the south side of Fullerton Avenue, the 800 blocks of Chalmers Place and the north side of Belden Avenue. Commonly known as the McCormick Row Houses, the homes were officially designated a Chicago Landmark District in 1977.
Restrictions: In library use only
26Sheffield Neighborhood Association (SNA)
Description: A subgroup of the Lincoln Park Conservation Association, the SNA was formed in 1958. Its bylaws include the following objectives: "to improve the conditions of life, work, recreation, health, and safety; to foster and develop a neighborhood plan, and to aid, assist, and sponsor neighborhood activities in the area bounded by Halsted Street, Fullerton Avenue, Lakeview Avenue, and Armitage Avenue."
Restrictions: In library use only
27St. Josaphat Parish
Description: This collection, which came directly from the files of St. Josaphat Parish, is organized into four series: Publications, Events, Videos, and Memorabilia. The Publications series includes both newsletters and various other publications. Each of the series is arranged alphabetically.
Restrictions: In library use only
28St. Paul's Church
Description: Records include publications such as St. Paul's "Bote" and the "Quarterly." The collection also contains a variety of programs from church services and special events, photographs, as well as some administrative records.
Restrictions: None
29St. Vincent's Church
Description: St. Vincent's Church, located in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood, was completed and dedicated in 1876. Throughout it's history the church has been a Vincentian parish, whose pastors are members of the Congregation of the Mission. The records in this collection are organized into nine series: Historical, Administrative, Financial, Announcements, Societies, St. Vincent's Convent, St. Vincent's School, Photographs, and Artifacts and Memorabilia.
Restrictions: In library use only
30Wanda Harold Photographs Collection
Description: Research Initiative grant in 2000. The original photographs and her paper, ?Early Ethnic Settlement and Architecture in Lincoln Park? were transferred to the archives in 2002. Her photographs were digitized in 2004 and are available on DePaul University Libraries Digital Collections website.
Restrictions: In library use only
31Wrightwood Neighborhood Conservation Association (WNCA)
Description: The WNCA is one of many Lincoln Park neighborhood groups, responsible for much of the beautification, community building, and preservation of the north side of Chicago. Wrightwood is bordered by Diversey Parkway, Halsted Street, Fullerton Avenue, and Lakewood Avenue.
Restrictions: In library use only
32Young Lords Collection
Description: This collection includes materials donated by members of the Young Lords as well as oral histories conducted by the Center for Latino Research at DePaul University.
Restrictions: In library use only